Thursday, May 14, 2009

My City, My Heart


What a sight you are
My heart quickens and my breath catches
As I approach your inner limits
Concrete jungle is what they call you
Steel beams erupt from the ground
Like a 500 year old Oak Tree
Your roots are ingrained in me
The busy sounds of day catch my attention
Cabs honk, people scream "get out the way"
I look around and see signs that say one way
Streets paved in old gum and candy wrappers
These are my streets of gold
Its my heart you hold
Oh my city, my heart
What a sight you are
My heart quickens and my breath catches
Tallest building in the nation you lay claim
Home to the Bears, Cubs, Sox, Hawks, Bulls, and what's his name...
Oh yeah, Obama
Windy City is what they call you
Never ashamed to boast your fame
Greenest City in America- we're on our way
Taste the city once a year
Festivals for all, come and cheer
As planes and boats zip around
Make sure you save time to party downtown
Or Rush Street or Wrigleyville
There a friend will pick up your bill
Dance the night away to House Music-
Twista or Kanye
Whether you Footwork or Step
You'll never forget the night you spent at Tempo Cafe
Or Nookies where the rainbows lay
State, Michigan, Dearbourne, LaSalle
Would you be a pal and point me in the right direction
El trains wiz by -I can't even lie -
Its a beautiful sight for me to see those people squeezed in all the way to the door
On their way home to Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Englewood, South Shore
All the neighborhoods I adore
Not as big as New York City
Not as Flashy as Los Angeles
Chicago stands alone
Erected in steel-surrounded by water
Once destroyed by fire
You'll receive my ire
If you talk trash about my city
Cause its such a huge part of me
My city, my heart

3 comments:

  1. Awwwww!! Now I want to write a piece about New Orleans :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog post. Just started reading your blog but you got some great content and layout!

    Btw, I just stumbled and submitted your blog to Viralogy.com. Hope it brings you a lot of new readers!

    ReplyDelete